Saturday, March 24, 2012

Hearts are Bleeding

My hearts are bleeding and I am glad!  This is why.....



Like so many parts of the country, Spring has come early this year.  Never have my bleeding hearts bloomed in March!  I must admit, this is a tad bit un-nerving to me.  Why? You ask.  Because I'm from Denver.  So?  You ask.  ( you are quite the conversationalist!)  Here, Lemme me explain it to you.  I was born and raised in Denver.  ( Which means I experienced many winters and springs there)
The land of beautiful sunny weather.  Doesn't matter if it's winter, spring, summer or fall, the sun will be shining in Denver.  Seemed completely normal to me.  How was I supposed to know that I would eventually end up in a place where the sun shines for 4 hours in the winter?  Yup, the midwest!  Just to add insult to injury, I landed here via another sunny spot, Florida.  Ok that wasn't even remotely relevant to this story other than to emphasise.....hmmm, I don't know what I was trying to emphasise.  My point being, in beautiful sunny Colorado where the snow melts the day after it falls (usually), in early spring, the bulbs start blooming, the trees bud out and everyone heads outdoors to soak it in.  It's gorgeous, colorful and irresistable.  Then........it happens.  Almost every single year..... the big wet, heavy spring snowflakes that break the tree branches and crush the delicate blossoms.  So you see, I have good reason to be skeptical of this amazing, wonderful weather.  We'll pay for it, I fear, with June snowstorms or something equally weird as blooming hearts in March.  So enjoy it while you can. 

   I just can't help it.... I MUST BE WORDY! 

I tried out the cute little Ken Bova hammers that I showed you last time.  They work perfectly......


Lookit those teeny tiny, not-smashed-flat rivets!  Yes, folks, I can heartily recommend the chopstick hammers.  Here's the full picture. 



You might notice the lovely Kuchi charms that Tracy from pipnmolly sent me there on the bottom.  I'm easing myself into her incredible stash, making plans.  Lots of plans.  These earrings have 4 types of vintage metal.  Let's play my version of  Hidden Pictures?  Can you spot all 4?  Extra points if you can!


Yummy, huh?  Guess who planted these for me?  You know you want to see it........



I'm trying not to objectify my husband but I can't help myself when he looks like that.  While you admire that picture,  remember that he's also like the guy in this picture.......



 This guy here is apparently the most interesting guy in the world, which makes my husband the second most interesting . Can't vouch for the other guy myself, but that's the rumor.  I know, I know you want to see pictures of jewelry, and you will.  But as I plan on throwing a few more pics of pretty flowers in here, I want you to think about who gets credit for them.  And eye candy begets eye candy.  Seems right, now doesn't it?


These got listed today


Textural verdigris patina shield earrings with sterling earwires.  A nice mix of ancient modern.

And these will be listed shortly


I made these little amphoras out of resin.   They have old text on the backside.  Here's another view.....



I wanted to make the amphoras look all ancient and mysterious.  What really does the trick, tho, are these fabulous rusty crusty lampworked beads from the uber talented Kim of numinositybeads.  I just LOVE them!  And did you notice that these are red?  What's the significance of that?  That I resisted buying the ones she made that were Venetian blue and opted for these.  When I went back for a second look at those Venetian blue ones, they were gone.  Not surprised.  I am not so secretly hoping she'll make more of those sometime. 

This looks like a nice springtime necklace, eh?

 

 I do believe I need to take a picture of this on my mannequin.
A big blister pearl, mother of pearl,  freshwater pearls, seashells, smoky quartz, faceted smoked glass and clear quartz chips on  rosary-style chain.


This also should get listed pretty soon


Yes, I'm loving how things look on the mannequin all textured up.  Hey bond girl, I explained how I did this treatment in my response to your comment from the last post.  I answered it in my not usual wordy way, so if you have any other questions, please just let me know.

This necklace is chock full of turquoise beads and a big old slab of it there front and center.  There's also 4 varieties of amber.  Let's see if I can remember all 4...Baltic, horn, Thai or was it Tibetan?  I'll check on that.  And that big slice of amber above the turquoise slab, in between the turquoise bead and the Baltic amber chips.  Ack, Can't remember what the name of it was.  Anyway that's the 4! 



I got another surprise in the mail yesterday.  No, not more generous gifts, I worked for this one.



First time that I've been featured in Jewelry Affaire.

Thanks so much, Beth!  Another great issue! I'm honored to be included.



These are some blossoms that I brought inside.



If only my black tulips bloomed at the same time as these, wouldn't that be a beautiful bouquet?



Now if the snow comes along and wipes these out, at least you'll get to savor them at your leisure.

There are also tons of hyacinths blooming, wish I could make this thing smell a vision for you.  But not for me, as I've sadly become allergic to them. 



Can't remember if I already showed this necklace to you.  I do know that you haven't seen it on the mannequin, so here you go


Foldformed pod with verdigris patina and amber and turquoise embellishments.

You like how it looks on the mannequin?  Well then here's another view....



Which makes me realize I should probably come up with a fabulous name for the mannequin, eh?  Because how many times did I type out "the mannequin" in this post?!  I'm open to suggestions here.  With this clever and colorful bunch there should be some good ones.  Or are you holding out for a "Name the Mannequin" giveaway?  What have I done to even type such a thing?!  I DID NOT just announce a giveaway.  But maybe, I said maybe, if somebody thinks of the perfect one, maybe just maybe, I'll send a little something your way.  Of course, maybe not.  You all know how that last giveaway went.   hahahaha.  Hmmm, now we'll see who actually reads the text in this blog. 




Here's our little pet.  A rescue animal.  Available for adoption.  Now don't be fighting over him guys.

(update-didn't mean to be confusing.  Sorry about that.  I guess I should clarify a few facts about this scary little guy.  He isn't actually our pet  , as in my husband's and mine literally.  I was speaking collectively when I said "our", as in you the blog readers and me.  Our little pet.  Kind of like the previous animal pictures I have shared with you, both adorable and frightening that some of you have taken to heart.  Didn't want you all fighting over who gets to take care of this little guy figuratively. I know how protective you all are about these animal photos.  re: the gator photos.) 




ack, that's even creeping me out.


Have a great week!


Hejda  (Swedish)

29 comments:

  1. Ok that's definitely going from the sublime to the ... well ... as you say creepy dog. Is he OK - not vicious I hope. I'm the owner of a rescue myself - absolutely gorgeous with people but shocking with other dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kate,
      He kinda looks vicious, doesn't he? I suspect that he is. I put in an update to explain the dog. Not literally my dog. Well, the update explains it. So your rescue is a cannibal then?

      Delete
  2. Gee - I didn't know they had zombie dogs at the shelter... eehhmmmm...
    DROOLING over those earrings...
    BTW - have you noticed any of the girls stalking your house to get a glimspe of your hubs? Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha. So all those people walking behind my house aren't walking up to the forest preserve like we always thought? Naw, the hubs is safe from the ogling masses. See, that's how he looks to me. Not sure that's how he looks to other people. Also, he usually keeps his shirt on outside just so the ladies don't swoon.

      Delete
  3. How happy my beads are to have been subjected to your inventive and creative spirit. Maybe I should rephrase that... How happy I am to see how you applied your particular artistic genius with my crusties! Those resin amphoras...wow! And the multi vintaginal metal eaarings knock my socks off. ( they are already off actually because I'm on one of my wake up early, surfing blogs in bed modes if you must know but figuratively I mean)
    I may have to check out the chopstick hammers because that was my major problem with riveting and I tried to tell myself that I liked the look of smashed rivets, oh so primitive and unique to my art.
    I've got more crusties and amphoras on the docket for listing, next round is mostly neutral beads but then some crazy spcar beads that look like stones, my husband couldn't believe that I made them. I'll make sure that I make some more colorful ones too next session, You'll have to guess who got the venetian blue ones... keep your eyes open.
    xoxo Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, Your beads are just perfect on those amphora earrings. The texture and colors have to be seen in person to be fully appreciated. I'm so glad you like what I did with them. hmmm, now you've got me wondering who it is with those Venetian blue ones.
      new beads that look like stones?! and more crusties and amphoras? stop- you're killing me. hahahaha

      Delete
  4. amphoras earrings~yum.and i agree that kims work is stunning as well.here's to a lovely, lovely day of what ever it shall be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, her work is great. Did I ever mention that I make the ugliest lampworked beads in history? That's why I appreciate well executed ones so much. There's definately an art to it.
      Thanks for the well wishes. It's gorgeous out so far!

      Delete
  5. Loving the amphoras, and the addition of Kim's beads. Beautiful! I am in love with that turquoise and amber necklace. I mean like really really in love with it. And the pictures of your husband? They give me such a smile when you put them up. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, so there is someone besides me, ogling the hubs. he'll be happy to know it. Thank you, Juliette. really appreciate the nice compliments on my work. it's hard to go wrong with turquoise and amber, isn't it? such a fantastic combination!

      Delete
  6. DUUUUUDE! I told you that you have to tell me when you blog!!! this stuff is insane!
    i love the amphoras, the layers of tin, the shields... swoon.... but not the dog. not the dudes either, to be totally honest. i want the eyecandy only you can provide, sigh. i never knew smashed rivets were a bad thing. i always smashed away... not that i've done it that much, but. dont those take forever w/the microhammers? though god knows i'd toss one of those hammers on a necklace any day! ku-yuuuute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha, they are really cute little hammers and I have no doubt that you could make one look great as a necklace, but even for me, who likes BIG jewelry, they are a bit much for that, but so perfect for riveting. thanks for your sweet words, fanci.

      Delete
  7. I love dogs but.....damn. They must have had that from a pup or it cast a demon curse on it's unsuspecting caretakers.
    Your flowers are almost as gorgeous as your new pieces. Almost. Love the amphoras.
    Those hammers look just the ticket for those hard to reach little stinkers and smaller wire.
    Congrats on the new issue !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. That is one scary pooch face. I'm wondering if it was even cute as a puppy. aww thanks Tracy. appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  8. Woohoo, another magazine!! Great stuff!
    Stunning work as ever, I really love the first earrings. What a great invention those little hammers are. Those earphoras are so YOU!!!- Kim's beads set them off a treat. That fold-formed, verdied-up honker to finish with is completely yumtious!!
    Well done to your many husbands on that planting! I so hope you don't go getting all sorts of weird weather now to ruin all your amazing blooms. Incredible to have all that going on in March! I'm still marvelling over a few woodland primroses and daffs over here!
    Man, that is one ugly dog. He's got a face like a welder's bench, poor soul.
    What a beautiful post - mostly!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much, Petra. hahaha yes the earphoras turned out nicely with Kim's beads, didn't they? Sure is nice of all you guys to compliment the crazy stuff I make with resin. And to indulge me with all the amphoras.
      I will let both the hubs know that you appreciate their handiwork.
      I used that cute and cuddly giraffe last post remember? You all needed a living breathing welders bench this time. You know the element of surprise is supposed to get those neurotransmitters firing. Just trying to help keep your creative juices flowing. :)

      Delete
  9. Loving the little glass amphoras with those hint of pink beads, lush. I've got a lovely white variety of love lies bleeding, love this time of year in the UK, everything is just popping up in the garden. Don't think your dog is going to win Crufts any time soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could post a picture of your white bleeding heart for us. They are just the lovliest. I planted two but the bunnies ate them Why they left the pink ones alone is a mystery. I picture your spot of the world as one big gorgeous rose blossom, lush, green and smelling wonderful. is that even close?

      Delete
  10. Love, love, love what you've done with the antique metal! Wow! And now, because of what you are doing with them, I think I am starting to develop a "thing" for amphoras too!
    About the dog... I have a rescue Catahoula leopard dog who is beautiful on the outside, but I'm afraid you have captured her "inner-houla," when it comes to strangers and other animals.
    Oh, and congrats on yet another magazine that recognized your extreme talent... you deserve that and more! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Melinda! :D Watch out! Amphoras are contagious!
    So sorry to hear that about your houla dog. I was hoping that this dog might actually be a cream puff on the inside. Now you've got me thinking that might be right! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! Your jewelries make my heart pump harder. They are so luscious. So are those flowers--ohmigoodness. It makes me want to fling my Integumentary notes off the balcony and go romping in fields of poppies and tulips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmmmmm. would those poppy fields be on your way to see the wizard? Sounds like a fabulously fun time to me! let's go! :)

      Delete
  13. hey there,

    love all the new additions to your shop........as always. i have been busy with work in the outside world and with a cancer Relay for Life so my jewelry making and enjoying all of my favorite blogs have been sadly neglected.....sigh. today i finally sat down with fanci's tute and made a couple bangles today......but i see by the gorgeous photos she posted of yours on her blog that you've been busy.

    thank you so much for sharing your manne secrets avec moi. i have a fall festival in early november so i have to start making them beautious to show off my designs. i will share photos with you but it will be a while. i plan on doing the larger of the three in the gesso.....your's is so cool.

    congrats and all the confetti on your lastest magazine. i will have to look for it. such a talented and entertaining lady you are.

    X0X0 bond girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you thank you. :)
      sounds like you've been doing many important things in the non-virtual world.

      happy to share with you. I realized that my necklace busts that have gotten all beaten up being transported back and forth to shows could benefit from the same treatment. so many opportunities to slap some gesso and paint on stuff, eh? Why stop with mannes? go for it ms. bond- shoes, small children, dogs, alligators......
      looking forward to seeing pictures of your bangles and mannequins and?

      Delete
  14. I love those resin amphora earrings! so fabulous :)

    I gave you a little feature on my blog, sharing links to both your blog and to your shop... as well as to a couple items IN your shop lol I hope you don't mind :) If you do, I'll take it down immediately, but really...are you gonna turn down free publicity and ego stroking ;) ?! lol http://skyescreativechaos.blogspot.ca/2012/04/sharing-love.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Skye. of course I don't mind. THANK YOU! oh wait. I just saw the date. is this an April fools joke? hmmmmm gonna go check for myself.........

      Delete
  15. The pieces are gorgeous... And so are the hammers! And the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Kira! yes, those are some truly adorable hammers. my black tulips are finally blooming and I got some pics of them today. so guess what'll be on the next post? hahahaha. of course they aren't actually black. a hint of deepest darkest purple. just lovely.

      Delete
  16. You have an awesome talent. Your work is overwhelmingly breathtaking . . . each piece is a masterpiece . . . oh, can you tell I love it! Just found your blog and I'm hooked. Your newest fan and follower, Connie :) Come on over for a visit, my welcome mat is always out.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you have to say. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.